Wednesday, August 26, 2026

A00241 - Christopher Webster Hunter. Amherst College Class of 2005, The Hotchkiss School (Lakeville, Connecticut) Graduate, Beloved Teacher in San Diego

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888


Christopher W. Hunter obituary, Greenwich, CT

Christopher W. Hunter

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Christopher Hunter Obituary

Published by Greenwich Time on Nov. 16, 2014.
Hunter, Christopher W.
Christopher W. Hunter passed away suddenly in San Diego, California on November 5, 2014 at the age of 31. A resident of Scarsdale for the first fifteen years of his life, he was born to Roberto J. "Bert" Hunter and Donna L. Webster. After attending the Greenacres Elementary and Scarsdale Middle schools, Christopher attended the Brunswick School in Greenwich, CT and graduated from the Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, CT. During his years at Amherst College, from which he graduated with a double major in psychology and sociology, he was a National Science Foundation Fellow (Duke University Medical Center) for research to investigate how nicotine combined with typical or atypical antipsychotic drugs may provide a more holistic and safe treatment for attention deficits in schizophrenics by administering nicotine through transdermal patches. Upon graduation from Amherst, Christopher earned a two-year fellowship in psychology with the San Diego State University where his research which focused on the associations between individuals' physical activity, body mass index, and life satisfaction was presented at the 2006 annual meeting of the Society of Behavioral Medicine. During the last several years, Christopher became a California Basic Educational Skills Test-certified substitute teacher for the San Diego Unified School District and was an assistant teacher in various San Diego schools. Combining his passion for fitness with his love of education, Christopher designed several physical activity routines including a "Morning Run" program for elementary school children which at its peak had 300 students running up to 2 miles daily. Known for his kindness and compassion for his students, his work focused especially on disadvantaged children and those at risk as a result of abuse, neglect or behavioral issues.
In addition to his mother and father, Christopher is survived by brother, Alexander, sister, Dana, all residing in Greenwich, Connecticut, grandmothers Christine Webster and Francesca Ferguson, great aunts Judith Hunter, Vera Waddell, Valentina and Dina Castelli, great uncle Lawrence Waddell, aunts Joyce Woodford, Maria Northington and Gretel Webster, uncles Harry Webster, MD, Dennis Webster, William Woodford, many cousins and friends.
A viewing will be held from 5 p.m. until 8 p.m. Friday, November 21, 2014 at the Edwin L. Bennett Funeral Home, 824 Scarsdale Avenue, Scarsdale, NY. A memorial service, celebration of life and internment will be held at 11 a.m. (viewing from 10 – 10:45 a.m.) Saturday, November 22, 2014 at the Church of St. James the Less, Church Lane and Crane Road in Scarsdale. A reception will immediately follow the service at the church.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests a donation in memory of Christopher to either Christ Church Greenwich (memo: "The Ailee Fund" which is devoted to education and ministry with children and youth), 254 E. Putnam Avenue, Greenwich, CT 06830 or the National Alliance on Mental Illness, Connecticut Chapter: NAMI Connecticut, 576 Farmington Avenue, Hartford, CT 06105.

To plant trees in memory, please visit the Sympathy Store.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Chris Downs

March 19, 2015

Dear Hunter Family,

I am so sadden to learn of Chris's passing. He was such a sweet young man, always wanting to do the right thing while also trying his hardest to accomplish his goals. He was unfailingly warm and gentle and his smile and bright eyes could light up a room. I followed his career from Hotchkiss to Amherst and I heard he was in graduate school in CA. He certainly took advantage of the amazing opportunities that he created for himself and it sounds as though he was using his great mind to help improve the lives of others. His loss is just so overwhelming. He was such a gentle soul and his kindness and big heart will be sorely missed. You have my deepest heartfelt condolences. I know you were so proud of him....and so was I.

Susan Thompson

January 21, 2015

Dear Donna,Roberto, Alex and Dana,

I was so sad to hear about your loss. I will always remember this adorable boy and his wonderful smile. Graham and Ryan always adored and looked up to Chris and Alex. They considered them to be the big brothers they never had.

May God bless you and your family in this time of sorrow.

Gloria Bouknight

January 3, 2015

To the Hunter family I will always remember your son his determination and willpower thank you Chris for touching my life

Brian Kahn

December 28, 2014

Hunter Family - I am so very sorry for your loss, and you guys have all been in my thoughts and prayers for the last several weeks. I have many great memories of Chris on the tennis court when we were younger. He was a great competitor, and an even better person. He will be missed.

Giannella Garrett

December 26, 2014

Dear Roberto and Donna, I am very saddened to hear about your loss. Such a talented and beautiful young man. Please know my thoughts are with you. Christopher's memory will shine bright in our hearts forever.

December 15, 2014

Dear Donna and Roberto,

I was so shocked and saddened to hear of the loss of Christopher . Herb and I send our heartfelt sympathy to you and your family. Know that we are thinking of you during this
very difficult time. Although we have not met this beautiful child we feel very deeply for you. Love, Diane and Herb Pugacth

Marilyn jimenez

December 7, 2014

Condolences to Donna and Reberto and the rest of the family, I am in shock, tonight while looking at tv I saw this young man with the most beautiful eyes and I said to my husband I use to babysit a little boy with eyes just like that, his name is Christopher, I wonder if that is Chris, I when on the Internet to see if he was on Facebook and couldn't believe that Chris had just passed away. I have such wonderful memories of both Chris and Alex and I alway hope that I will see them one day. Chris I am so sorry that you are gone I will always remember you and those beautiful eyes.. Marilyn Jimenez Mt Vernon Ny.

Maria Soto

December 7, 2014

I am the Volunteer Coordinator and also a co-worker of Chris. He was all about the kids, very dedicated and fostered their growth and well being. A great loss. With prayers and deepest Sympathy. Maria Soto

Alix Morris

December 5, 2014

Christopher-I never knew you but knowing of your passing has touched me too. I am lighting this candle here, because you are still with us out there in the universe, and want you to know that the light you brought briefly to planet Earth made it a better place to be. Rest peacefully, Chris.

Sherri Izidoro

December 2, 2014

Hunter Family, I am so sorry for your loss. Chris will be missed by all. His passing has left me broken hearted. Chris had a big heart and a great love for his family. You are in my thoughts and prayers...

Sherri MFCU

guy devoss

November 30, 2014

To Chris's family - seeing his obituary in today's paper brought sorrow to my heart and many tears. I had the pleasure of working with him at McKinley school as a teacher of the severely handicapped K-5 program and as a distict teacher mentor. I had many wonderful coversations with Chris regarding his great skills working with kids and his strong work ethic. My students greatly benefitted from the numerous times he worked with them, as did my two assistants and I. Although I retired in June I looked forward to hearing about his future endeavors and adventures. Know he made a great impact on my life and all the students and and staff at McKinley. He will always remain in our hearts. Sincerely, Guy

Jon Rogers

November 30, 2014

Reading obituaries in SD Union Tribune this morning i was moved to tears when I made the connection between Chris and McKinley Elementary in San Diego. I am a busy volunteer at McKinley and have praised the prime time program there for many years. Chris was number 1 primetime employee that I experienced in my 7 years at school. His energy, positivity and authority over his class was exceptional. I had many conversations with him on campus and remember vividly how impressed I was with his attitude. I'm saddened that such a bright light in this world has gone away. Jon Rogers

Sheria Smith

November 29, 2014

My sincerest condolences. I was one of Chris' classmates at Hotchkiss and he was always very kind to me. I pray that he has found peace and rest.

Abby Morales

November 28, 2014

My mother always says that God always calls his angels home early, but not before they make everyone around them blessed with their presence, I believe that and today, I find myself letting you go home. I have sooooo many wonderful memories of you and I know that you blessed me with your company and friendship, not without doing the same with everyone you ever met. If there's anything I can say, is thank you for making me one of the lucky individuals that got to meet the wonderful person you are, and I say are, because I know you are doing the same in heaven. God needed you and now you can watch over us, I don't say good bye, but just I'll see you again my dear clown, because we both know, you are going to make me laugh again. I love your silly personality, your contagious happiness and your giving soul. Thank you for being such a wonderful human being, and for always be willing to make a difference in everyone's life. Thank you for existing in this world and the only thing I ask of you is to give us strength to be at peace with your absence. Be always around, because we both know we all need you, missing you dearly and praying for your family and friends who miss you with me.

Paulette Castillo

November 25, 2014

Dear Roberto and Donna,
Just heard your tragic news. I am so very sorry, and send you and your children my deepest condolences.
Paulette Castillo
WG 1979

Helen Engel

November 25, 2014

My deepest condolences to all his family and friends. I only met Chris once, but knew what a charismatic person, and loving soul he was through my good friend, Billy Loper. Billy loved him so much and spoke highly of him all the time. May he rest in peace with God. I'm so sorry for your tremendous loss.

Carrie Pryor

November 25, 2014

Donna, Roberto and family,
We just saw the news in the GA newsletter. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Christopher was always kind and generous to our girls.
Much love,
Carrie and Ted Pryor

Janet Stein

November 24, 2014

Bert, Donna, and family,

Mom and I think about you every day. I didn't know Chris for very long, but he was a delightful neighbor. It was always a joy to see him and my pup Pippin greet one another with such enthusiasm. I hope that the thoughts of prayers of Chris's many friends is of comfort to you.

November 23, 2014

Dear Roberto, my family and I are so sorry to hear of your loss. May God offer comfort and blessing to your wife and family in the warm and happy memories of your son. Love, sympathy and prayers to you all. Donna Callaway Pinckney, Wake Forest U

Cara Vietri

November 22, 2014

Donna & family,
My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. May the strength of your family help your hearts mend.

Irene A. Marquez

November 21, 2014

Thinking of you.

November 21, 2014

Dear Donna, Roberto, Alex and Dana,
Words can't express how sorry we are for Chris's loss. Both my kids - Alison and Andy - remember him dearly from Greenacres and SMS. Our hearts go out to you. Our sincere condolences.
Fondly, Judy and Steve Joynt

Mark Conliffe Sr.

November 21, 2014

Dear Roberto, Donna, Alexander and Dana,
Words can not express the feelings that you all must be having at this time for the sudden loss of Christopher. My Love, prayers and deepest sympathy are with you all.

Alan Schiff

November 20, 2014

Dear Donna & Roberto and the entire Webster-Hunter family,
Judy and I were stunned to learn that your accomplished and handsome son, Christopher, has been taken from you. The loss of a child is an unfathomable event and shakes one's confidence in the order of things in the universe. The wound in your hearts is deep, and we can only wish for you that the love of your family and friends, over time, will help to heal that cleft. There is a saying that those who have departed us continue to live on in the acts of goodness they performed and in the hearts of those who cherish their memory. In that sense, Chris's legacy will live on for a very long time indeed.
Much love to you at this sad time from Judy & Alan.

Eddie and Phyllis Chang

November 20, 2014

Dear Donna, Roberto and family, We are deeply saddened for your loss. With heartfelt thoughts and deepest sympathy, may you find comfort and strength in the warmth and caring of friends and family. We are praying for you and wishing you peace. With much love, Phyllis and Eddie

Gabrielle Korab

November 19, 2014

Dear Donna,
Please accept our sincere condolences on your indescribable loss.
Bill and Gabrielle Korab

Caroline Mooney

November 18, 2014

Donna, I am so very, very sorry. I have no words. With much love from Caroline and Rebecca Mooney.

Linda Killian

November 18, 2014

Dear Roberto and Donna, please accept my sympathy for the loss of Christopher and my great affection for you and your family. I hope that you have been able to find solace in your family, faith and friends.

Beverly McClain Hill

November 18, 2014

Dear Roberto and family. My sincere condolences to you and your wife. What a handsome child, and I can only imagine the hurt you must feel. May the Lord, bless you and keep you, we beseech Thee. May He keep you strong. My prayers and blessings are with you always.

Elizabeth Legena Blue

November 17, 2014

Roberto, I am so very sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest sympathy for you and your family and know that I'm praying for the peace of God to envelope you all in your season of sorrow and loss.

November 17, 2014

Dear Roberto and family, please know that we are sending our love, prayer and deepest sympathies to you. May the sweet and warm memories of your son help to ease your pain at this most difficult time.

Paulette

November 17, 2014

I am sorry for your loss. It is always extra sadness when we lose someone so young. May the God of all comfort strengthen you in your time of grief.

Linda Robbins

November 17, 2014

Dear Donna, Roberto, Alexander, and Dana,

I vividly recall Christopher's expressive eyes, friendly smile, and charming personality....and that was when he was a toddler! You all have reason to be very proud of the fine, compassionate young man he grew into ( as attested by his noble work in CA).

Please know that you are very much in my thoughts and prayers at this time of profound sorrow.

With love, Linda

Elaine Griffith

November 16, 2014

My heart is breaking for the Webster-Hunter family on the loss of Christopher. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers. Peace be to your son.

With deepest sympathy, Elaine and Bill Griffith

Strauss Moore Shiple

November 16, 2014

My condolences and deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Carey Forsberg

November 15, 2014

Roberto-I knew your son only briefly when you brought him to Long Island to visit my daughter Whitney just before his prom. Now many years later, I still remember his kindness, sincerity, how much of a gentleman he was, and his sweet beautiful eyes.
I was deeply saddened to learn of Chris's passing. I pray his soul is at rest and that all of you find peace and comfort in your memories of happier times and the support of family and friends.

Velma Hilton

November 15, 2014

Donna, sorry to hear about your loss.may God bless you and give you and your family comfort at ths time.

Timothy Richman

November 15, 2014

I was a classmate of Chris growing up. I did not know him well enough to speak of him in these memoria, but I am shocked and saddened by his passing. I hope that you can all find solace in the fact that he was loved and will be missed by so many. My most heartfelt, deepest condolences

Penelope Xanthakis

November 15, 2014

My prayers are with you and your family, Bert and Donna. I will miss Christopher's infectious smile and gentle manner. He was a true gentleman with a deep love in his heart for humanity and was an inspiration to so many...his presence in this world will be missed. My heart hurts that he is gone, and I pray that your hearts and minds will be comforted by He who spoke these words, "Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise" - Luke 23:43...may God rest his soul.

Jon Fermo

November 14, 2014

Chris was a childhood friend. I remember the soccer games, sleepovers, videogame tournaments, and the welcoming warmth of the Hunter family. He had a truly unique and magnetic sense of humor. My memories of him are eternally vivid and I offer my most sincere condolences.

Ollis Mozon

November 14, 2014

Almena and I share in your loss of your Christopher and lift fervent prayers that you shall ultimately find a peace beyond understanding through this heartbreaking experience. Our hope is that you can experience the truth of Jesus' words, "Blessed are they that mourn for they shall be comforted." You are not alone.
- Ollis and Almena

Deborah hicks

November 14, 2014

Dear Donna and family, our hearts break for you as you bury your beloved child, and know he will live forever in your hearts. It is good to see that you have such a large family and collection of friends to support all of you and help you celebrate your son's life. Lots of love, Deborah Hicks Midanek Bailey

Karen Gosnell Kennedy

November 14, 2014

Donna, deepest condolences for you and your family.

Gary Sommers

November 14, 2014

Donna and Bert,

We are so sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Gary and Eudora

Gail & Greg Steckel

November 14, 2014

Donna, Bert, and family: We are so saddened by your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this tragic time.

Jason and Linda Cavalier

November 14, 2014

You are in our thoughts and prayers. Sending you all our love. The Cavaliers

Anthony Wright

November 13, 2014

Love lives forever

Monica

November 13, 2014

My prayers for the family! Chris was a pleasure to work with he had a special place in everyone's heart at the ymca we hope his legacy lives on

November 13, 2014

Ours prayers and thoughts go out to your family
Roberta,Barbara,Carley, Miguel,Bobby,Kila,and Copley YMCA staff

Heidi Bieber

November 13, 2014

Bert,
I am so very sorry for your loss. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

Veronica Persson

November 13, 2014

My sweet boy Christopher. I have so many fond memories of you and your brother when being your "au pair" in 1988-1989. Words can not describe how sad I am. May your sole rest in peace and may your family come through this difficult time. With love from your old nanny.

Mary Vigil

November 13, 2014

Bert and Donna,
Please accept my most heartfelt sympathies for the loss of your son Christopher. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. May your hearts and souls find Strength, Peace and Comfort.
Sincerely,
Mary V.

Chris Baisden

November 13, 2014

Bert, My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family in this time of sorrow. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Netta Moore

November 13, 2014

My dear friend Chris, words cannot express how deeply saddened I am by your untimely passing. I will cherish the good times we had and all those notes and gifts that you would leave on my desk. I will miss your silly jokes. May you rest in peace my dear friend.

Leah Lebec

November 13, 2014

We are so saddened by the loss of your beautiful son and send you all our love and condlolences.
The Lebec family

Frank Numann

November 13, 2014

Donna and Berto,
As I wrote earlier, Bernadette and I are struggling to find words to describe our feelings for you two, Alexander and Dana. We wish you strength in this time of pain and sadness. In your own words, it is the hole in your hearts may never be filled. May the many good memories of Chris, give you strength now and for many ears to come, so you can continue the good work that Chris had started.
As long as all those who have known and loved Christopher live, his memory lives on.... Bernadette and Frank

Brenda Bonhomme

November 13, 2014

What a beautiful life. Gone too soon, but the memory he left will help to make the world a better place. In your grief, I know you will make space to be proud of all he accomplished. Even those of us who did not know him personally will remember him fondly through you. With heartfelt sympathy

Suzanne Kaswan

November 12, 2014

Bert, Donna and family,
My deepest sympathies on the loss of your son. You and your family have been constantly in my thoughts and prayers and I hope the memories of your beloved son and brother bring you comfort.

Vaughn Carney

November 10, 2014

I wish to express my sincerest condolences to Christopher's immediate family - Roberto and Donna, Alex and Dana. I'm remembering with great fondness Chris as a little boy in Scarsdale. Wishing all of you peace.

8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

In Memory

Christopher W. Hunter passed away suddenly in San Diego on Nov. 5, at the age of 31. A double major in psychology and sociology at Amherst, Chris was devoted in the most genuine and humble spirit to using his education to help others.

While at Amherst, Chris conducted research as a National Science Foundation Fellow into safer treatment for attention deficits in schizophrenics. After graduating, he studied psychology on a two-year fellowship at San Diego State University that culminated in research on the relationship between physical activity, body mass index and life satisfaction. In the last years of his life, Chris took what he’d learned in psychology and medicine back to the classroom, this time as a teacher at various schools in San Diego, where he developed fitness-related activities for elementary school children.

Chris was beloved and remembered by many at Amherst, but there is one accomplishment in particular that ensures that his memory will endure. Amherst’s swimming and diving coach, Nick Nichols, recalls that Chris played a decisive role in what he calls without reservation the most exciting swimming meet he’s ever seen, the 2004 showdown between Amherst and Williams. Amherst was swimming as well as it had all season, but Williams, the favorite, was expected to sweep all points from the diving board to secure the victory. Williams divers did indeed place first, second and third on both boards, but Chris sprung an upset by securing fourth and fifth place, earning the team a total of three points. The final score on the day? Amherst 123, Williams 120. Coach Nichols still reminds his teams every year that on the only day in his 17-year coaching tenure that both the men’s and women’s teams beat Williams, it was a walk-on diver who brought home the winning points.

Matt Langione ’05

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Deceased November 5, 2014

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Nickname

  • Chris
No data available
No data available

88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

Employment Information

    Former

    • Substitute Teacher
      San Diego Unified School District
      Start:
      01/2010
      End:
      11/2014
    • Research Assistant
      San Diego State University
      Start:
      09/2006
      End:
      09/2008
    • National Science Foundation Fellow
      Duke University Medical Center
      End:
      11/2014

    Industry Information

      Former

      • Education/Academia: Higher Education
      • K-12 Education: Substitute
      • K-12 Education: Teacher
      • Research
      • Research: Biotech

      88888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

      Reunion Class

      • 2005

      Graduation Year

      • 2005

      Major(s)

      • Psychology; Sociology

      Secondary Schools

      • The Hotchkiss School

      8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888

      • Moore Dormitory
      • North Dormitory

      Athletics

      • Men's Swimming

      Extracurricular Activities

      • Amherst College Glee Club
      No data available

      8888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888 

      No comments:

      Post a Comment